nesting for workers

So very soon I start my new job, a job which I anticipate is going to involve 60 hour weeks with startling regularity.

Beforehand, I'm all about the kind of nesting which prepares us for the long hours of me away by making food which cannot be bought, and planting food which cannot be bought at the same quality and freshness.  Last night I made another batch of muesli and put a chicken on the slow cooker to make stock.  This morning I made eggy courgette muffins from The Edible Journey Cookbook and then strained the stock and chopped up the chicken meat.  The kids and I did errands in town and then bought punnets of silverbeet and cavolo nero seedlings.  While Brighid danced, I took bags of things we have grown out of to A, the very wonderful leader of our local Tongan community.  After our town lost a mother and teenage son in a car accident before Christmas, my eyes were opened to need I had been far too oblivious to beforehand. 

I weeded and watered and fertilised and planted before and after tea.  I started to organise Brighid's birthday party.

I did squeeze in a trip to work and did some related errands, but for the greatest part, this week still belongs to family and nesting time.  Tomorrow night is crafting time with some of my favouritist and most fabulous crafty friends in Wetville.  We'll be setting the world to rights and planning what to move and shake next.  The craft is, arguably, a political smoke screen.

Comments

Deborah said…
I think that many gatherings of women, whether around books or craft or gardening or whatever, are political gatherings. The activity gives us permission to gather, and talk and talk and talk.

Popular posts from this blog

McCalls 7288 & altered Style Arc Barb pants

Livingstone daisies

Heartburn & Paris Etc